Adding a tossed green salad to any meal is a great way to increase your vegetables. Dark leafy salad greens are packed with nutrition. The darker the leaves, the better (so pass on the iceberg). With so many varieties of greens at the market today, experiment and try some new ones! For healthy fat, add a wedge of avocado and a sprinkle of chopped nuts or seeds. For an entrée salad use 2 cups of greens. You can use a little less for a side salad. Serves: 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Ingredients for the salad
• 8 cups dark leafy greens
• 1 avocado, pitted and sliced or diced
• Handful of chopped nuts or seeds
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil of choice. Flavored olive oils give you an even wider range of flavor options, too.
• 1 tablespoon vinegar of choice (Choose from red wine, flavored balsamic.
• Pinch sea salt
• Pinch ground black pepper
Optional dressing ingredients for extra flavor:
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
• 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Whisk the oil and the vinegar together until combined. Add the salt and
pepper to season. Add optional ingredients, if desired.
Divide salad among 4 plates, add avocado and nuts and drizzle 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette on each salad.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 cups salad, 1 tablespoon dressing): calories 190, fat 18 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 0 mg, fiber 5 g, protein 2 g, carbohydrate 7 g, sodium 150 mg